My teenage son was attacked by a police officer when he was out past our city’s curfew

Posted on

Curfews aimed at minors are implemented on the local level and serve to maintain peace, minimize crime and keep youth safe and out of trouble. There are exceptions to the case, however. These include: the presence of a parent or guardian, minors who are employed and emergencies. In these circumstances, teenaged minors under age 18 are exempt from curfew, especially if they have no record of criminal activity.

Sometimes minors who don’t meet these exceptions are out past curfew and therefore in violation of the law. Police who discover them are allowed to take action against them. The type of action they take should be reasonable, necessary and in accordance with law.

Use of Excessive or Unnecessary Force by Police

Quite often, parents will hear their teenager was mistreated, even assaulted, by police while out after curfew. Was it justified? Under certain circumstances, such as resisting arrest, yes. Use of excessive or unnecessary force by police is never justified. Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens all too frequently, and law enforcement are seldom charged.

Police have the right to act on reasonable suspicion and to protect themselves at all costs. That doesn’t mean they have a right to disregard any citizen. Parents should always look into a situation involving physical attack against their children to find out what actually happened. The truth is in the details. If parents find that their child has fallen victim to excessive or unnecessary force by a police officer, and they have evidence to confirm it, which includes pictures of the injuries incurred, they have a right to file charges against the appropriate entity, whether officer or department. No one, not even law enforcement, has the right to use physical force without reason.

An Advocate of Human Rights against Police Misconduct

If you think your child has become victim of excessive or unnecessary force by law enforcement, contact an attorney with experience in police misconduct. Patrick G. Geckle is an advocate of human rights and will fight to ensure you get the justice you deserve.

You can call 800-555-7760 or contact him through his website. He works on contingency for the sake of his clients, so you don’t pay anything up front. If he didn’t believe in you and your cause, he wouldn’t agree to this form of pay.