Philadelphia Police Misconduct Lawyers

Frequently Asked Questions

Police misconduct and brutality

Being the victim of police misconduct is a frightening and upsetting experience. If this has happened to you, you may not know what to do and probably have many questions you need answered.  Patrick G. Geckle has been representing victims of police misconduct and police brutality for over 30 years and can advise you on how to proceed.

Below you will find some frequently asked questions about police misconduct and brutality.  While these questions and answers will help give you some general information about your case, the best thing to do is to contact a civil rights attorney right away. Contact our law office for a free consultation, so we can help you get the compensation you deserve.

Protecting your rights one case at a time

If you or a member of your family has been the victim of police brutality, call Patrick Geckle LLC at 215-735-3326, toll free at 800-555-7780 or contact us online to discuss your case. All consultations are free of charge, and you are under no obligation to take your case further. All cases are handled on a contingency basis. Our office is conveniently located in downtown Philadelphia, where it is easily accessible by car, bus or commuter train. Over the years we have helped many people in the same situation as you. Talk with us about how we can help you, too.

I do not have money to pay for a lawyer. Can you still help me?

Our firm handles police misconduct on a contingent basis.  This means that there are no fees charged unless we obtain compensation for you.  In addition, we never charge anyone anything to talk about a potential case.

Back to top

I was charged with some crimes and pled guilty. Does this mean I can bring a claim?

It depends. We would need to know more about the charges and how they were disposed of as well as what type of police misconduct is involved.

Back to top

I would like to bring a claim but I am worried about retaliation. What should I do?

Retaliation for seeking access to the courts or protecting your civil rights is itself a civil rights violation. Under some circumstances, you would be entitled to immediate injunctive relief from the courts to stop any harassment or retaliatory action.

Back to top

I have talked to other lawyers and they are not interested in handling my case.

Handling a police misconduct case takes dedication and a willingness to handle difficult cases. Our firm often takes cases others have refused.

Back to top

I was arrested and subjected to excessive force. What should I do right away?

If you have visible injuries, get photographs depicting them. If you feel that your injuries are serious, go to the emergency room or your primary medical provider.  If your clothes are torn or blood-stained, make sure you preserve them.  Get names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses.  Do not make any further statements before calling our office.

Back to top



All I did was “mouth off” to the police officer and I was arrested. Can I do anything?

Yes. Mouthing off to the police officer is NOT a crime. If you were arrested for “mouthing off,” your civil rights have been violated, and you have a case.

Back to top