What Should You Do if You Witness Police Brutality?

Posted on

Many people are intimidated by any type of law enforcement and concerned about retaliation if they even consider reporting abusive behavior that happened to them or anyone else.  However, reporting this type of abuse will not only protect you, but will also protect others from becoming brutalized in the same manner.

It is also important to remember that the more often this type of misconduct is brought to the attention of the authorities and the media, the less likely it will escalate and spiral out of control.

Steps to Take if You Witness Police Brutality

There are several steps to take in reporting police brutality:

  • Document every detail as quickly as possible and include times, dates, and any witnesses. Get detailed contact information of any others at the scene who are willing to testify on your behalf.  If possible, include the name and badge number of the officer in question, but do not be concerned if this information is not available to you.  Even the smallest detail can have an enormous impact, so never eliminate something simply because you do not believe it will be pertinent or important to the case. Always allow an attorney to determine what is unnecessary.
  • Obtain the counsel of an attorney, preferably one with experience in police brutality cases. Patrick Geckle has the experience you will want to support you through this tenuous legal process.
  • If you are not the victim of police brutality, but a witness, file a police report immediately.  If you are the victim, then it is wise to delay filing a misconduct report until your entire criminal, and/or civil charges have been resolved; otherwise, you may be providing too much information that could become convoluted and used against you.

Contact Our Police Brutality Lawyers in Philadelphia for Experienced Legal Counsel

If you or a member of your family has been the victim of police misconduct, call the experienced Philadelphia police brutality lawyers of Patrick G. Geckle LLC at 215-735-3326, toll free at 800-555-7780 or contact us online to discuss your case. All consultations are free of charge, and you are under no obligation to take your case further. All cases are handled on a contingency basis. Over the years we have helped many people in the same situation as you. Talk with us about how we can help you, too.